Monday, January 2, 2012

Am Mayan the right page??

   Alright, here we are, in 2012. I know that all of you have heard about the Mayan calendar, and how it apparently comes to an end this year. This has led to a great deal of debate over the fate of mankind. Some of you believe it to be true. Others of you think it's hogwash. But my guess is that most of you, just like me, really don't know if it means anything or not.
   I truly have no interest in the Mayans, their beliefs, their history, or why their calendar is even in the news. Personally, my only thought on this is I believe that whether it's true or not, it's a very good thing for us to be confronted with the thought that it's possible. Why? Because all of us have heard catchy phrases throughout our lives such as "Live every day as if it's your last." We can all agree wholeheartedly that if we could live by those words, our lives would be very different in the days, weeks, months, or years ahead.
   When we ponder the idea that this could very well be the last year of our lives, it truly changes our perspective on what's important, and what is meaningless. If we truly believed that it was true, we'd be forced to take our thoughts captive, to focus on the things wich are truly valuable and meaningful, and dismiss the things that distract us. More than that, even if we didn't believe it entirely, we would still be open to the possibility that it could happen, and therefore make even small, simple changes in our behavior and thinking patterns that have held us back in the past. We'd want to be as productive as possible, and do the good work we've always known we should be doing, but have continually put off until tomorrow.
   It would give us the exact mindset that Paul talks about in Philippians 3:12-15:

  "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus"

   Those of you who know me well know that for the past year or so, I have encouraged everyone who might listen to learn what your specific gifts and talents are, and to put them to use in doing the work God has placed before all of us. Just as Paul said here, I do not believe for one second that I have reached my full potential, or that I have accomplished what it is I've been placed on this earth to accomplish. But I press on, many times through a wall of doubt in my own abilities, many times through sadness, or loneliness, or myriad other difficulties that each and everyone of us face every day of our lives.
   What keeps me going in this? The faith that God is God, and I am not. No matter what my life looks like, no matter how confused I may be at times, no matter how much I wish things had been different in my life, or that things might change to how I'd like my life to look and feel at this time, God is still absolutely in control.
   If this debate over the Mayan calendar causes all of us, in some small way, to refocus our minds, our heats, and our lives, then I believe it's one of the best stories to ever come out of the media. Because of my faith that God is absolutely in control, I refuse to face this coming year with any sense of fear or hesitation. After all, if this is our last year, I have no doubt that God will make it one with incredible eternal consequences. And speaking for myself, if it's this year, next year, or 30 years from now, I want to hear Him say "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment